A Historical Perspective
The Immaculate Conception: Pasig Catholic College’s Patron Saint
The Immaculate Conception, the Beloved Mother and Special Protector, is PCC’s patron saint. The Spanish Missionaries placed the whole country under her special protection by making her the country’s patron saint. During the 1760’s, Pasig was one of the few immediate areas that saw the presence of the Spaniards. Settlements were built around the church, a familiar structure and one of the living pillars of the Hispanic era. Soon, priests were seen outside of the pulpit, gathering people, children and old folks alike, preaching and educating them on the values and virtues of Christianity. For these reasons, Pasig Catholic College presently a Diocesan College of Pasig, for long has adopted the Immaculate Conception as its patroness. Mary’s hidden life, an eloquent testimony of deep faith, purity, courage, wisdom and obedience to the Father’s Will is what the College has always wished for her students and employees to emulate.
The De Brower Legacy: PCC’s Early Years
Out of the desire and determination of the Belgian CICM Missionaries to build a Catholic school for teaching children the love of God while passing on the cultural heritage and tradition of the people, Pasig Catholic College was founded by Rev. Pierre Cornelis de Brouwer, CICM in 1913. It was known as “Escuela Catolica” during the early 1900’s.
In 1916, during the time of Rev. Paul Hubaux, CICM, the American government recognized the primary school. In 1920, under the administration of Rev. Godfried Aldenhuijsen, CICM, intermediate levels got approval for operations. As the population grew in 1931, Rev. Victor De Klerck, CICM saw the urgency of constructing what would be the school’s first building, composed of eight classrooms built in the Church patio. In 1939-41, the Urbano Building was constructed under the administration of Rev. Urbain (Urbano) Timmermans, CICM.
Pasig Catholic College was originally incorporated in accordance with Philippine Laws on 24 August 1915. After World War II, the Articles of Incorporation were duly reconstituted on 12 August 1948 and filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). The transcript of these Amended Articles of Incorporation was issued on 03 February 1949.
Rev. Tjolle’s Arrival in 1951
The arrival of Rev. Roger Bruno Eduard Tjolle, CICM, from Washington D.C. in 1951 opened a new chapter for the school, now known as Pasig Catholic College, as secondary and tertiary levels were duly recognized. In the process, Fr. Tjolle introduced the American label of education to the Philippines through Pasig Catholic College.
Several infrastructure changes were seen during the administration of Rev. Josef (Joseph) Van den Daelen, CICM from 1957 to 1962. In 1965, he appointed lay Filipino Administrators to key positions in the academic levels of the school.
From Belgian to Filipino Directors
Founded by CICM, PCC moved towards Filipinization in 1973, with Msgr. Gaudencio B. Rosales as School Director under MAPSA administration (1973-1979), Msgr. Manuel Sobreviñas as School Director (1979-1993), followed by Msgr. Emmanuel V. Sunga (1993-1997), Msgr. Manuel G. Gabriel (1997-2003), and Msgr. Gerardo O. Santos (2004- present).
First Filipino Director: Msgr. Gaudencio B. Rosales
Before he became an iconic figure of the “Pondo ng Pinoy” phenomenon, Msgr. Rosales was appointed PCC School Director under the Archdiocese of Manila from 1973 to 1976. He said that since PCCiansare given quality Catholic education corresponding to their proper destiny and suited to their talents, cultural background and ancestral heritage, he is sure that they will attain with personal industry whatever success they have to grasp here on earth and be gifted with Life that is Eternity.
Msgr. Sobreviñas’ Charism
Msgr. Manuel Sobreviñas’ initiator and charismatic leadership strengthened the school’s culture of service and volunteerism. Msgr. Sobreviñas was then concurrently the Superintendent of the Manila Archdiocesan Parochial Schools Association (MAPSA). This assignment put him at the forefront of MAPSA’s educational and developmental growth and concerns.
A Wave of Changes: Msgr. Sunga’s Courageous Efforts
Msgr. Emmanuel Sunga’s leadership, together with Assistant Director, Rev. Alfredo M. Ramos, brought about much-needed developments in the school. In 1994, a five-storey Administration Building, the present Msgr. Suñga Building was constructed and this housed the high school and college classrooms as well as the administrative offices. Then, a new school canteen followed, constructed in front of the high school building. The following year, the co-educational program was gradually introduced in the College.
In the Fullness of Time: Msgr. Gabriel’s Leadership
In 1997, Msgr. Manuel G. Gabriel’s leadership ushered major changes and developments for the school. He carried out such plans through a process-oriented, principle-based participatory management approach to organizational development. Msgr. Gabriel’s unwavering commitment to making PCC the nerve center of MAPSA in terms of educational excellence and social commitment served as one of the major sources of the school’s driving force towards instituting changes essential to animating its thrusts. During this time, the school’s vision, mission and goals were reviewed and revised. The Christian Formation Office, which was known earlier as the Center for Integral Evangelization (CIE) was created.
In 2001, the School of Graduate Studies was established. The Caregiver Program of the College Department was given recognition by the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) in 2003. The following year (2004), the Technical-Vocational Skills Development Office was created to take charge of the Caregiver’s Program and to develop other special programs for the college department.
From Parochial to Diocesan: His Excellency, Bishop San Diego
In 2003, the Diocese of Pasig was formally recognized in Vatican, Rome and its Founding Bishop was Francisco C. San Diego, D.D. The Bishop was also the Chairman of the College’s Board of Trustees.
PAASCU and PACUCOA Accreditation
The Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU) granted both the Grade School and High School Departments Level I or “candidate status.” A formal visit in 2001 elevated the two academic departments Level II or “member status.” In 2005, PAASCU gave the grade school department a 5-year “re-accredited status.” Most recently, the HS Department, in its bid for a re-accredited status, was visited by PAASCU in 2005. The college department is now also under Level I Accreditation from PAASCU. The School of Graduate Studies has also gone through a preliminary visit by PACUCOA.
Msgr. Santos’ “Little Acre of Grace”
In January 2004, Msgr. Gerardo O. Santos, the MAPSA President and Superintendent, and the Director of the Catholic Educational Association of the Philippines (CEAP) in the National Capital Region (NCR), took over as College President. Msgr. Gerry continued the work of infusing dynamism and excellence in all areas and levels of college operation. More importantly, he has worked towards integration of values into the curriculum, instruction and into the lives of the community members.
Msgr. Santos has sustained the seven systems with key result areas (KRAs) in management that would guide the College’s direction and these are: 1) leadership and governance, 2) human resources, 3) financial and logistical stewardship, 4) curriculum and instruction, 5) integral evangelization, 6) tertiary, research and information technology resources, and 7) promotions and public affairs. The five key result areas are 1) spirituality, faith and institutional renewal, 2) quality and excellence, 3) leadership and governance, 4) partnership, linkages and networking, and 5) resource mobilization and fund generation.
Msgr. Santos organized PCC’s moniker “little acre of grace” during this time. He also spearheaded the identification of the school’s core values and their indicators vis-à-vis the school’s vision, mission and goals that continue to guide PCC. The College’s core values are: 1) Christian discipleship, 2) respect for human dignity, 3) preferential option for the poor, 4) excellence, 5) responsible stewardship, and 6) commitment to the building of the local Church.
The enthusiasm for instructional and management innovation has inspired Msgr. Santos to charter new directions in curricular offerings; introduce technology in instructions; strengthen the college integral formation program; establish vital school partnership and linkages and establish compensation package for school personnel , while at the same time, directing the construction of a new College Annex building.
He is also bent on continuously realizing the school’s thrust of forming students and the whole community into “Persons of Character and Competence” (the school credo). He wants PCC to go beyond legacy in serving the community by providing quality Catholic education and by being effective instrument of social transformation. He continues to instill among the stakeholders the challenge of PCC’s motto: “Nobility Obligates (Noblesse Oblige).”
Pasig Catholic College with Bishop Vergara: A Centennial Institution
With the installation of Bishop Mylo Hubert C. Vergara as the new Bishop of Pasig and Chairman of the PCC Board of Trustees, PCC once again rededicated its services to the Church for the purpose of strengthening the formation of its learners and its personnel. These years saw the College’ serious involvement in ecological issues and with enthusiasm got involved in the preparation and celebration of its Centennial Year, “PCC @100: Ablaze in Mission”.
The Seven Priorities of Fr. Orlindo F. Ordoña
In 2015, Rev. Fr. Orlindo F. Ordoña became the new PCC President. He laid his seven priorities for the continuous development of the academic institution.
- Intensified Christian Formation
- K-12 Transition Management
- Quality Assurance through Accreditation and Research
- Ranking and Promotion System
- Strategic Alliance and Networking with Industries and Non-Government Organizations (NGOs)
- Completion of the PCC Centennial Building
- Succession Management/Resource Management/Human Formation and Development with focus on Leadership Development
“The important thing is that we do not let a single day go by in vain without putting it to good use for eternity.”